Dr. Shelley Gorman is a graduate of the University of Toronto (OISE) and she has been a registered clinical psychologist since 1986. Her professional background has included staff positions at Metfors/Clarke Institute of Psychiatry (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health – CAMH). She was on staff at The Vanier Centre for Women, Ontario Ministry of Correctional Services, as the psychologist for the Young Offenders and Acting Chief Psychologist from 1987-1989. She was the Director of the Addiction Counselling Service of Peel (William Osler Health Centre), from 1989 to 2000.
Since 2000, she has been in a full time private practice, which is broadly based, clinically. Dr. Gorman’s counselling and psychotherapy practice includes treatment for issues related to anxiety and depression, Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and marriage / couples and family conflict.
The favored treatment modality (approach) for these problems generally includes CBT, or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. EMDR is sometimes utilized for trauma related history. The emphasis in couples’ therapy is in the area of improving communication. You can read more about these approaches on my Approaches to Therapy page.
Other areas of expertise include addressing problems of inappropriate use of (addiction) alcohol, drugs, gambling, and sexual behaviors (particularly the Internet).
Dr. Gorman also provides psycho-legal assessments for clients with court-related requirements. This includes assessments for people who have been charged with criminal offences or who have pending immigration appeals. In these circumstances, I collaborate with legal representatives.
- Registered Psychologist – Province of Ontario
- Canadian Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology
- Certificate of Proficiency by the American Psychological Association in the Threatment of Alcohol and other Psychoactive Substance Disorders
- Certificate of Professional Qualification in Psychology: Association of State & Provincial Psychology Boards
- Ontario Psychological Association
- Canadian Psychological Association
- American Psychological Association
Dr. Gorman’s office is in central Mississauga near Square One and many of her patients are from Toronto, Brampton, Oakville and west Toronto.